Things that can harm a septic system
- Don’t pour cooking or any other kind of oil or grease down the drains or toilet.
- Don’t put any paints or solvents of any kind down your drains, not even water based paints.
- Don’t flush anything down the toilet except toilet paper and what ever you have already eaten. This should be a strict rule.
- Don’t neglect your septic system. It is your onsite wastewater treatment plant. Having city sewers comes with a sewer tax, you have the responsibility to maintain your treatment plant.
- Don’t rely on the wide range of septic tank additives to be a substitute for the routine pumping of your tank. There are no products, at this time, that can be used without also periodically pumping the tank.